Monday, June 18, 2007

This is how I remember it...


I remember the first day of Seventh Grade. Soccer was the popular sport. I was decked out in head to toe Umbros. (Although I wore red and teal jeans a lot in 7th and 8th grade; And I had a few pair of Adidas shoes). I remember I wanted to fit in. I made no real lasting friends from Sixth Grade. I still had Mindy and Vicki, but I had known them since Kindergarten.


Mr Braedel. I was unfortunate enough to be Kim's little sister. My sister had him for 7th and 8th grade. I don't think he ever called me by my real name. Didn't we have him for Homeroom, English, and Social Studies?


Back to the first day of school: I remember Mr Breadel sat us alphabetical. And it just so happened that you were diagonal from me. You were the new girl. And you were different. You didn't wear makeup, you had long, long brown hair, and you had "duck boots". I remember they were green and plastic over the toes. I thought it was so weird that you wore them in September!

I honestly don't remember much about our relationship prior to your birthday party. I remember playing Truth or Dare at your birthday party. I remember Libby licking the toilet seat.

I remember the NFN. I remember when you started writing in it. And somehow you and I clicked. I'm not sure what it was. I know neither of us were as boy crazy as Anna and Jessica. (I remember Jessica tried to set me up with her boyfriend's friend. And he wouldn't be my boyfriend because I refused to make out with him the first time I met him). And Lori was really into sports, which we weren't (although I did play basketball). You and I shared an awareness for the environment and for animals (remember when we wrote to organizations about adopting an animal). I don't know what drew us together. But I know once we met, we became inseparable.

We spent every weekend with each other. Calling boys, playing computer games (Island of the Spanking Monkey!), exploring the woods, sleepovers. I remember my Dad would always order us Cheese and Onion pizza and you hated it. I remember we got to drink pop at your house but only with a straw. I remember our canoeing trip! Still one of my favorite experiences. I remember the awful parts of 7th grade too. We stood together when the boys became rude and inappropriate. Even when the Assistant principal threatened suspension, we stood together.
I had no idea when I was thirteen that I would meet my best friend for life. Even as we changed and evolved. Even as we grew a part. We were actually growing together.

1 comment:

Molly said...

I look like I ate something really, really sour! :)